Leg Up For Life

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Introduction

I am Kristie and this is my story. 
When I was born I didn't have two full functioning legs. My right leg was shorter than my left and my knee and the foot didn't develop all the way. My parents had to choose to have my leg amputated or have multiple surgeries in an attempt to fix my leg. They chose have my leg amputated. The first amputation was only my foot when I was 16 months old. This meant I still had the rest of my leg. Since then I have been able to do many different activities growing up (Marching band, school, biking, skiing etc.) I will share some on the blog. I can't tell you everything at once, because then there is no reason to keep reading. :) The whole reason I am starting this blog is because I need a new leg and there will be fundraisers going on to earn enough money for a new leg. I wanted to let you the reader have a chance to get to know me better and let you be apart of the leg making processes from the first casting to the first fitting to learning to walk with the new leg and more!


Currently I am going to school at Utah State University. I am getting my bachelors in Family Consumer Human Development. (FCHD) With this degree I want to help families be stronger. I would love to teach parenting and development classes in the community also work with individual families one on one to help their strengths in parenting grow and grow. I will be done next spring 2013! A new leg will help because I will be able to stand and walk comfortably and be able to have a steady leg to walk while holding kids and books etc. 


Some of my other goals or dreams or realities to be are:

  • To be a wife and mother
  • To help other people get new prosthetic legs (give back what I have been given)
    • With extra money earned it will go to future repairs and new legs for others
  • Be someone that those who need a little push back on their feet can come
  • Travel everywhere in the USA and outside.
Starting now I am selling wrist bands. The rubber kind; the ones I have are yellow and the say "Determined, Fearless and Courageous" Good words to live by. I am selling them for $5 each. Here is the email to contact me and let me know if and how many you want to buy. legupforlife@gmail.com I will post a picture of one.


I hope enjoy this blog! 

1 comment:

  1. I like it! And as soon as I get out of debt... seriously, I will buy one. haha. I love you and am happy that you'll be getting a new leg!

    ReplyDelete